Also referred to as the client-side developer or simply as the frontender, the front-end developer is responsible for making certain a Web site looks the way it is supposed to look when it is accessed by Web visitors. The front-end developer is not to be confused with the designer, who develops the aesthetic plans for the site, or with the programmer, who is responsible for converting static pages into dynamic ones. Rather, the front-end developer falls somewhere in between, as he or she must convert the artwork that was prepared by the graphic designer into a real working Website while also cleaning up the programming and other aspects of the site in order to make certain it looks as the designer intended – no matter who is looking at the site.
To make certain the Website looks the way it is supposed to look for every site visitor, there are several areas the front-end developer must consider. These include:
- Markup – the structure of the page, which serves as the basic foundation for the Website. Proper markup is essential for search engine optimization.
- Style – the way the site looks as well as how it is structured. The style must be concise and specific, while also remaining generic enough in nature to work across several browsers.
- Accessibility – making the site accessible to people with disabilities. Accessibility is achieved by making it possible for the site to be accessed with a variety of methods, including with the keyboard, the mouse and more.
- Web framework – the software architecture. Makes the site more flexible and functional through the use of conditional statements and other methodology.
- Programming – the code used to program the Website. Programming must be tested and debugged.
- Usability – how the site works and looks to the end user. Involves using the site with an eye for detail in order to make suggestions for improvement.
- Performance – the size of the footprint left by the site. Steps should be taken to reduce the amount of bandwidth necessary.
In short, the front-end developer makes certain the site looks and works perfectly for all who use it. To make this happen, he or she must have a decent understanding of programming languages and Web coding while also having a keen eye for detail, as every last detail must be perfect to ensure the site is an absolute success.
I want to take this opportunity to thank Pawel Poturalski for his outstanding cooperation. It’s great to have someone like Pawel in our team. He is always creative, very accurate and constantly hungry for the knowledge.